Virginia Commonwealth University
Friday, October 20
New Academic Building, Room 1160
The Browning Centennial
Registration, New Academic Building Lobby
4:00-5:20 p.m.1. Deborah Logan, "Woman's Mission to Women in Browning's Aurora Leigh: Marian Erle as the True Daughter of Her Age"
2. Michael Strong, "Turning Milton's Muse into the Angel of Cultural Criticism: Elizabeth Barrett Browning's 'A Curse for a Nation'"
3. Paul Crumbley, "Barrett Browning's 'Confessions'"
Response: Margaret M. Morlier, University of Richmond
Panel: Elizabeth Barrett Browning: New Work from UNC-Chapel Hill
7:00-8:30 p.m.1. Bruce Glassco, University of Virginia, "Browning's Audiences and His Speaker's Masks"
2. Cornelia Pearsall, Yale University, "The Bishop's Bodies"
3. Judy Cornett, University of Virginia, "Art and Soul: Correcting the Copy in 'Andrea del Sarto'"
Response: Warwick Slinn, Massey University (New Zealand)
Panel: New Approaches to Robert Browning
Performance: Gregory Allen Baber, "Artists and Lovers"
The 1989 Victorians Institute is made possible through the generous support of the College of Humanities & Sciences and the Department of English, Virginia Commonwealth University. Additional thanks to Rosemary Jann, Lawrence Laban, James Kinney, and Merrill Ripley.
Saturday, October 21
Victorian Mixed Media
8:45- 10:151. Monika Brown, Pembroke State University, "Dutch Painter, Photographer, or Pre-Raphælite? Mixed Media in Victorian Criticism of the Novel"
2. Judith Fisher, Trinity University, "Thackeray's Mirror: The Narrative Function of Book Illustration"
3. Deborah Morse, College of William and Mary, "Trollope's Illustrations and the 'Woman Question'"
Welcome: James Kinney, Chairman, Dept. of English, VCU
10:45-12:001. Henriette Power, Harvard University,"The Pantomime Co-opted in The Old Curiosity Shop"
2. Rebecca Pope, Georgetown University, "The Diva Doesn't Die: George Eliot's Armgart"
3. Joseph Nicholes, Indiana University, "Dorothea in the Moated Grange: Millais's Mariana and the Middlemarch Window-Scenes"
Luncheon - Faculty Dining Room, Hibbs Building, #218
Business Meeting - Hibbs Building, #328
1. Katherine S. Van Eerde, Muhlenburg College, "Punch Without Judy; or An Index Variorum of Victorian Life"
2. Janet Headley, Loyola College in Maryland, "The (Non) Literary Sculpture of Hiram Powers"
3. Richard Schindler, Brown University, "Joseph Noel Paton's Fairy Paintings of the 1840s: Fantasy Art as Victorian Narrative"
4. Martin Danahay, Emory University, "Pictorial Images of Political Gloom: Ruskin, Turner and the Failure of Representation"
George Landow, Brown University, "Blending the Codes: Victorian Mixed Media."